Pages

Thursday, June 14, 2012

Truly Mediterranean!

No, I am not talking about myself, most definitely not! This is one of the restaurants you HAVE TO eat at whenever you're visiting San Francisco. Nestled in the Mission district, it doesn't boast of a large space or great ambiance but the food is reason enough to attract hoards of people to it. You may miss it if you're not looking out for it; can't really call it a hole-in-the-wall place because it is usually packed with people! Not surprising, since the food they serve is so delicious. Parking can be a bit of a problem even on a weekday in the afternoon since the area has a dozen other restaurants to boast of as well as cute boutiques.

So, it was a warm Thursday afternoon and by a stroke of luck, my husband and I were both home, working and extremely hungry. Now when it is hot, and I am working and struck by hunger, the kitchen is usually left untouched. Why not explore the thousands of restaurants this great city has to offer? Thanks to Yelp, we headed to Truly Mediterranean at about 1:00 in the afternoon. It took us 10 minutes to find parking which is faster than the average time (welcome to San Francisco), so it wasn't that bad. And it was free :) Whenever I have to feed my precious quarters into those dreadful parking meters, a part of my soul withers in pain. So anyway, we went inside and luckily got place to sit. Quickly ordered a Mediterranean Combo Plate for me, and a Lamb Shawerma for him. We got our food within a few minutes and we knew it was fresh because they were making every order right when they got it in front of us.

So my plate consisted of fresh warm Pita, falafel, hummus, cucumber salad, tabouleh, baba ganoush, dolma, feta cheese, seasoned onions, and some tahini and hot sauces (forgive me if I have misspelt any of those words, middle easterns seemed to have liked to complicate the simple things). Considering the fact that the menu is dominated by meat items, this is a treat for a vegetarian! I devoured my plate slowly and contentedly. Needless to say, I left the restaurant extremely satisfied! The picture below should talk for it.


The Lamb Shawerma is apparently amazing too, judging by the speed with which he ate it up and the satisfied look on his face after that.


So, there. We were a happy, well-fed couple on a warm afternoon in one of the most active districts of San Francisco. But our cravings did not end there. Dolores street struck a chord in my heart, and I instantly thought of the joy the ice cream from Bi-Rite creamery brings to me! Within the next 5 minutes, I was holding a cup of salted caramel (I have not gotten around to liking this flavor even after trying it 4 times, but if it makes the husband happy...) and one of mint chocolate (now that's more like it) in my hands and hurrying towards the car which was in a 'no parking' spot.



I love random dates especially on weekdays. Makes it easier to get through the piles of work! We headed home, extremely content and well-fed. A smile on our faces :)
Follow Me on Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment