Pages

Monday, June 11, 2012

Bring on the Sun Block!

So, summer is here. Officially. Technically it should have been here a while ago, but for us San Franciscans, it has shown up later. We are not called "the Fog City' for nothing. Until last week, I remember rummaging through my closet for sweaters every time I stepped out of the house. To be completely honest, the sun coming out after a long time yesterday did feel good! The main reason being, I could wear my cotton capris and tank top and walk out on Embarcadero in my flip flops! 75 degrees in SF. Warm. Balmy. And so I did; only to regret it a couple hours later. What had managed to take this joy away? I had forgotten to apply sun block. The sun, which is responsible for a lot of headaches and uneven tans all over me, smiled away its rays on poor unsuspecting me. It was not until we came home and I took off my flip flops did I notice that ugly white strappy line on my feet. I was scared to even look at what damage it had done to my arms... so I didn't look!


This morning when my eyes opened to the sound of my alarm (after snoozing thrice), something felt wrong. Something felt extra. Something felt like it was not supposed to be there. Then it struck me. It was my dear warm comforter that I wrapped myself tightly in every night. The same snug feeling which I woke up to every morning in the cool weather no longer existed. In fact I wanted to get it off of me as soon as possible. Summer. Sigh. 


Work drained me physically, and this heat did not help! To top it all, my jeans felt like handcuffs for my lower extremity. Restrictive and hot. There is at least one major advantage the cold has over this heat. You can layer up in the cold; sweaters, jackets, scarves, anything. What do you do when it's hot? As I drained the water from my bottle during my last meeting of the day, I felt this urge to pour the water all over my face. But not only would this be inappropriate to do in a conference room, I would also have to deal with the problem of wet jeans. 


My car felt like a sauna when I got into it. I checked the temperature on my phone. 82 degrees. Fantastic. On an impulse, I checked my face in the rear view mirror, half dreading a scarlet red face with a white portion around my eyes which had been covered by my sunglasses all day. Luckily, the sun Gods had decided to play it easy because my skin looked normal. As soon as that thought even struck my head, my eyes traveled down below to my neck to reveal some red skin. The shrug I had worn to add some chic factor to my outfit this morning had very loyally protected my arms, but in the process, my neck had borne the brunt. I made a mental note of slathering sun block all over myself before leaving my house tomorrow morning. 






On my way home, the sun was glaring right at me through the windshield. Even with the sunglasses and the visor, I felt like I was being attacked. And the morons going at a speed of 55 with the limit being 65 did not seem to be helping. I changed lanes and overtook these tortoises at the first opportunity I got, wanting to reach home and relax as soon as I could. 


I am home now. Sitting in a tank and my pajamas. Nothing feels better than this! Maybe they should alter the dress code at work during summers. Just saying. 



No comments:

Post a Comment